Monday 29 August 2011

Such is the web. Such is life.

It was 2002. Those days, I used to stay with my brother at Indore. He was preparing for his civil services exams and I was in my 3rd year engineering. Dot com bubble and world Trade Center had just busted, resulting in a grim job scenario. I was seeing my college seniors struggling with placements and the forecast wasn't any better for us, the next batch in line.

On one dry summer evening, I was having a stroll on our terrace with my brother and contemplating what lies ahead of me, he threw a question. "How much money do you want in a month from your job?", he asked. I actually took 3 minutes to do the maths and though I don't remember what went into my calculation, I distinctly remember my answer. I said, Rs 12000. I elaborated how I would splurge that money during the initial months on all the stuff I wanted and how I would be able to save money later on. For good measure, I told him that I am amused why people require more money in a month than what I was quoting!

An year later, I landed in my first job which paid me just a bit more than what I aspired or aimed! I outgrew that money in two months flat. I wanted better jeans, better shoes, an awesome guitar and what not.

Its been over 8 years since that conversation on the terrace. When I had nothing, I was amused what do people do with money in excess of 12K. Today, I manage to make few times the money I wanted initially and still it isn't suffice. What was in 'wish list' then is a 'must have' now.

Such is the web. Such is life.


4 comments:

Site Meter